Sport, Citizenship and Society through rugby
Members of staff in GSBS worked in partnership with Turning Point Connects (TPS Connects) and Trust Rugby International on a 10-week pilot module for service users of TPS Connects called Sport Citizenship and Society.
The students have been attending weekly rugby sessions in the ARC for the past year and the course followed on from this. The course was co-developed with Dr Peter Kennedy Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Susan Grant Community Engagement Coordinator, service users and members of Trust Rugby. Each week a different theme related to sport, including Gender, Psychology, Violence and Health was covered. Participants were in different stages of recovery, ranging in age from 30 to¬ 65. Most had no formal qualifications, many were volunteers who were not in full-time employment and all were re-engaging with education for the first time in a long time to help develop their academic skills.
We are continuing to work with Trust Rugby International by extending the course beyond the pilot and offering mentorship roles in supporting a new intake of service users in March 2016 to those who successfully completed the course in December 2015.
The module was part of the overall recovery programme of participants and it was intended to re engage them with education and build skills and confidence for future learning experiences.
- https://t.co/LWgfArfRn3 Not quite ready for Postgrad yet? Then try our Undergrad courses first! 👉 Fashion Design w/ Business -…
- https://t.co/m53bbo08TM Well? Have we sparked your interest in Fashion Marketing yet? Read more about this fantastic MSc course here ➡️…
- https://t.co/WnE8U7OmUl Since 2014, Dr. Paloma Diaz Soloaga of Centro Universitario Villanueva visits each year to lecture to both Post & U…
- #IFM opportunity no 2. DYK our courses sometimes go abroad? 😎 MSc #IFM students spent 5 days in Madrid & visited… https://t.co/nVHgdKDNbU
- #IFM Opportunity 1 😍 Students were visited by Mark Hogarth of #HarrisTweed and Claire Pentony, @WalkerSlaterUK. The… https://t.co/zywBQJW8ye