Sport, Citizenship and Society through rugby
Members of staff in GSBS worked in partnership with Turning Point Connects (TPS Connects) and Trust Rugby International on a 10-week pilot module for service users of TPS Connects called Sport Citizenship and Society.
The students have been attending weekly rugby sessions in the ARC for the past year and the course followed on from this. The course was co-developed with Dr Peter Kennedy Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Susan Grant Community Engagement Coordinator, service users and members of Trust Rugby. Each week a different theme related to sport, including Gender, Psychology, Violence and Health was covered. Participants were in different stages of recovery, ranging in age from 30 to¬ 65. Most had no formal qualifications, many were volunteers who were not in full-time employment and all were re-engaging with education for the first time in a long time to help develop their academic skills.
We are continuing to work with Trust Rugby International by extending the course beyond the pilot and offering mentorship roles in supporting a new intake of service users in March 2016 to those who successfully completed the course in December 2015.
The module was part of the overall recovery programme of participants and it was intended to re engage them with education and build skills and confidence for future learning experiences.
- #Freshers is for everyone. It is because of this that tomorrow we will be holding a #quiethour during 10-11am. The… https://t.co/xlDFheRQXe
- #CommonGood Award stall. If you've ever #volunteered and shown your dedi… https://t.co/5Y881jhxU3 Fab to see a GCU student signing up at our
- https://t.co/9z55cwZODO Interested in joining a Society as uni? Check out the stalls along the main walkway and in the Ark Health & Fitness…
- #StudentAmbassadors, Mikayla and Matheus who are here all week to help out 😄 #GCUFreshers https://t.co/OBwzcB2yS2 Here we have two of our
- #Freshers2019 is well under way now! Thanks for coming along @Dominos_UK https://t.co/133ieC90kK Day 1 of