Sport, Citizenship and Society through rugby
Members of staff in GSBS worked in partnership with Turning Point Connects (TPS Connects) and Trust Rugby International on a 10-week pilot module for service users of TPS Connects called Sport Citizenship and Society.
The students have been attending weekly rugby sessions in the ARC for the past year and the course followed on from this. The course was co-developed with Dr Peter Kennedy Senior Lecturer in Sociology, Susan Grant Community Engagement Coordinator, service users and members of Trust Rugby. Each week a different theme related to sport, including Gender, Psychology, Violence and Health was covered. Participants were in different stages of recovery, ranging in age from 30 to¬ 65. Most had no formal qualifications, many were volunteers who were not in full-time employment and all were re-engaging with education for the first time in a long time to help develop their academic skills.
We are continuing to work with Trust Rugby International by extending the course beyond the pilot and offering mentorship roles in supporting a new intake of service users in March 2016 to those who successfully completed the course in December 2015.
The module was part of the overall recovery programme of participants and it was intended to re engage them with education and build skills and confidence for future learning experiences.
- https://t.co/WC5JQtdVa2 Congrats to all our students graduating this week 🎓
- https://t.co/vSqJFkClgq All non critical teaching now online - please check your timetable for any change to your class schedule ⚠️
- https://t.co/PJ9M2T6oeN We recommend all GSBS students check their timetables for updates to their teaching schedule 👇
- https://t.co/Z8H6d5bLVE Important information for GCU students who are looking to go home for Christmas period 👇
- https://t.co/Q8aZtszC2K Important information regarding testing for Glasgow students going home at Christmas 👇